Stainfield

All Noun
27 examples (0.01 sec)
  • Info Stainfield is a village and civil parish about east of the city of Lincoln, in the West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England.
  • Two miles (3 km) to the west is Stainfield, part of the civil parish.
  • One of Lincolnshire's legends tells of a wild man who lived in the woods near Stainfield.
  • Stainfield is the site of a Roman station, a settlement established on account of local mineral springs, where Roman coins have been found.
  • The civil parish has become part of a group that consists of Bardney, Apley and Stainfield parishes.
  • Directly to the south is the hamlet of Stainfield, and to the west, Hawthorpe.
  • Inside are a helmet, gauntlets and sword said to have belonged to the Wild Man of Stainfield.
  • The civil parish covers the villages of Haconby and Stainfield.
  • In 1933 Stainfield occupations included two farmers, one at the Manor farm, and three smallholders.
  • The area around Short Ferry is called Stainfield Fen, and it was first drained as a private venture by landowners.
  • He recounts the legend that one Francis Tyrwhitt-Drake was promised all the land in Stainfield if he could kill the wild man who had terrorised the district.
  • Stainfield is a hamlet in the South Kesteven district of Lincolnshire, England.
  • Originally suppressed in 1536, Benedictine nuns from Stainfield were then moved in by the King.
  • The priory of St Mary at Stainfield was the only nunnery of the Benedictine order in Lincolnshire.
  • A variation of this story, set in the 12th century, identifies the wild man as a Stainfield nobleman who had been away fighting in the Crusades for so long that when he returned he found he had been dispossessed.
  • Stainfield CE School opened as a National school in 1817 It became a junior and infant school in 1946, and closed 1971.
  • Stainfield Spa, to the west of the village, is a chalybeate spring discovered in 1720 by Dr Edward Greathead of Lincoln.
  • It heads north-west through Stixwould, Southrey, Bardney, Stainfield, before reaching Fiskerton where it follows the south side of the River Witham towards Lincoln due west.
  • The northern edge of the parish is formed by the A52 Grantham to Boston road, and the western edge is largely coincident with the former line of the Roman road King Street between Stainfield and Anacaster.
  • The northern edge of the parish is formed by the A52 Grantham to Boston road, and the eastern edge is largely coincident with the former line of the Roman road King Street between Stainfield and Anacaster.
  • Next »