Muchelney

All Noun
53 examples (0.01 sec)
  • The first church may have been founded by Muchelney Abbey.
  • Muchelney regularly floods in winter, cutting its inhabitants off from vehicle access.
  • It has also been known as Camel Abbatis because of its association with Muchelney Abbey.
  • The village of Thorney was abandoned and Muchelney cut off.
  • The Priest's House was built by the nearby Muchelney Abbey around 1308 for the parish priest.
  • The Priest's House is a National Trust-owned property in Muchelney, in the English county of Somerset.
  • It gets its name from its position on the little river Ile (or Isle) and its former connection with Muchelney Abbey. Cited from Somerset, by G.W. Wade and J.H. Wade
  • The parish of Muchelney was part of the Pitney Hundred.
  • During the Middle Ages there were also important religious sites at Woodspring Priory and Muchelney Abbey.
  • At this time, with of agricultural land having been under water for over a month, the village of Thorney had been abandoned and Muchelney had been cut off by flood waters for almost a month.
  • A 15th century tithe barn held produce for the grange of Muchelney Abbey.
  • At this time, with of agricultural land having been under water for over a month, the village of Thorney had been abandoned and Muchelney had been cut off by flood waters for almost a month by that time.
  • It was attached to the Abbey of Muchelney until the dissolution of the monasteries. Cited from Somerset, by G.W. Wade and J.H. Wade
  • The older wing may form part of the Grange pertaining to Muchelney Abbey; the South wing was probably added by Revd.
  • It refers to that fact that the village belonged to the Bishop of Bath and Wells and not the nearby abbey at Muchelney.
  • Before the Norman Conquest the manor was held under Muchelney Abbey but after 1066 was taken over by Roger de Courcelles.
  • It is sited on a former island site, and was the property of Muchelney Abbey, passing to the Trevillian family after the dissolution of the monasteries.
  • The manor of Earnshill was owned by Muchelney Abbey until the dissolution of the monasteries and then became the property of the Jennings family.
  • Although the Environment Agency have made plans for the regular winter flooding, still in recent years this has resulted in a number of villages -- including Langport, Muchelney and Westonzoyland -- being cut off.
  • The Abbots of Muchelney Abbey held the Rectorship of the parish church of Somerton during the Middle Ages.
  • Next »

How Muchelney gets used